Tuesday, February 22, 2011

A Poet Against the War

At the beginning of the semester, I read a poem in the Poets Against the War collection. The poems in this online collection were written in response to conflict in the last century.  I was particularly moved by the poem "You Gotta Love War" by Randolph Nesbitt.  In this poem, Nesbitt utilizes satire to make fun of war, to point out that war is often too idealized. He reflects on a commonly picturesque image of young men holding the American flag and standing up for their country. While this image is real and admirable, Nesbitt reveals another side of war: the harsh side. With crude images of soldiers returning from war with jokes and missing limbs, Nesbitt illustrates that war is no laughing matter. With his line about earning a face on a McDonald's cup, he ridicules those who go to war looking only for fame and notoriety. Nesbitt conveys that war is for people who truly feel called and understand the gravity of their decision. In terms of structure, there is no particular rhyming scheme; rather, the poem flows from one line into the next as they would in a conversation or song.  I was particularly struck by Nesbitt's frank language.  While the tone is superficially humorous and ironic, it is subtly serious and grave.  Images such as the McDonald's cup are common and simple enough to force the reader to contemplate a deeper meaning within the poem.


"You Gotta Love War" by Randolph Nesbitt

2 comments:

  1. I think it is interesting how the poet feels that "war reveals." It's a good thought, and it's true for so many other things. In tennis, our coach always says that everybody starts out nice, but you'll see your opponents' true colors when they start losing. Or a marriage can be going really well until finances get tough. A lot of us are all talk when we think things are going well, but it's when hard times strike that we show our true colors. I think its a very relevant truth when it comes to politics and patriotism.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like your choice of poem to write about - this is one I enjoyed reading. The"odd-numbered limbs" part caught me completely off guard... this poem hits hard, and I agree that war is often idealized in our culture. It's a concept that I heard a lot about in church growing up, and as I get older and learn more about the rest of the world I'm starting to realize that there's long been a "silent minority" of (non-Menno) people with this viewpoint. For me, this poem is an affirmation of some of my more pacifist beliefs.

    ReplyDelete